CASCAIDr – the All Adults’ Care and Health specialist legal advice charity – is compelled to go into a different mode for the duration of the Coronavirus crisis.
Advice charities are not getting any hint of financial support, and small charities will become insolvent very quickly, it is feared.
In all honesty, we can’t hope to cope with NEW clients’ individual legal issues – not if there’s no clear law to use, to enforce the Care Act duties that will shortly be suspended – downgraded into powers only – apart from where NOT meeting the needs would amount to a breach of human rights …
- We will still offer a steer for free, to anyone who needs one, and makes a referral on our online referral form here – for as long as we can.
- We will refer people who need ongoing legal work to legal aid law firms with capacity to take work on, in compelling cases – we can’t hope to achieve what a regulated law firm can in an emergency, and we can’t ethically charge for trying, or wasting precious time.
- This is going to be our main output for a while: we’re going to provide free template letters online, for the following groups of people to use in their own names – but in the fervent hope of donations, however small, with Gift Aid ticked wherever possible, via https://bit.ly/2WCNHhZ.
The letters will need to be adjusted, to suit one’s individual circumstances but are intended for the following:
- New candidates for a care package, being screened out or left unfeasibly long
- Current service users facing apparently arbitrary cuts to existing care plans, or any cuts, implemented without some genuine involvement of the adult and any carer first
- Anyone being offered services that are inconceivably inadequate or inappropriate in nature
- Informal carers being manipulated or forced into doing more than they feasibly feel able to
- Relatives of those facing going into an unsuitable care home
- Providers facing unilateral cuts to their fees or refusals to review clients when evidencing increased client needs
If you can think of others that are needed, we will do it! Email ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org please!
- We can also provide expert advocacy under s27(2) and s27(3) for anyone who needs it before a revision of a current care or current support plan. We will necessarily have to charge a low hourly rate for that work, but it can be done over the phone or by way of Zoom (online video conferencing software, for which you need only a link and a smart phone or a tablet). Email email@example.com if you need to arrange some of that…
- Finally, we’re going to run a page for members of the public to use to report good practice and policies as they emerge, from Councils and Care Trusts – you can find out about that, here.
Please note that our Trading Company will also be offering top-notch training by webinar/webinar recordings – to councils’ and Care Trusts’ staff. All net income goes to support the charity, of course.
The training content covers how to do what they now must do, as lawfully as possible, with regard to probably the most difficult conversations – and decision-making – that those practitioners and managers ever been obliged to face …
So if you’re a front line worker, a team manager or a senior manager and want that to be available, please mention it to your Head of Service now.
The offer will be with all Directors and Principal Social Workers in the next day or so, and available next week, if we can possibly manage it, and publicised here, when it’s ready.