Test Referral Form

…for our free triage service 

(- and as of 2020, you can upload a letter from your council’s social care team or the CMHT or CCG, if you need it ‘deconstructed’, for free!)

Please try going to our Self Help pages and suggested ‘scripts’ FIRST, here.

If you can’t find help there, then SCROLL DOWN and fill out the form after reading the guidance below …

…or if that’s not going to be feasible for you, at least not without some help from one of our volunteers, then book a call on the ‘Books’ icon on the RH side of this page.

Make sure you click SUBMIT at the end of the form. Please correct any flagged up errors before you close this page – some boxes are mandatory. You will see a message telling you that you’ve successfully submitted the form, if you have filled it all in and the internet is functioning!

We’re not an ordinary ‘advice and information’ service about health and social care, please note. That’s a service that all councils are obliged to maintain for free, in their own local ways, under the Care Act. If it’s basic factual advice and information about how the system should work, local to youthe local authority is obliged to provide this under the Care Act, and ought to be able to tell you which direction to head in, for the right kind of inputs for the particular situation.

We’re experts in the extent of the rights and duties associated with the adults’ social care and NHS Continuing Healthcare legal frameworks, in England and Wales.

You can always try our CHAT service: the button on the side of the site will tell you if we’re online or offline and if it’s the latter, we’ll get back to you soon.

Although we do offer a free phone service, Mondays to Thursdays, it’s really intended for people who haven’t the technical or cognitive ability to put the problem down on paper/email/our form. We prefer the referral to come in on our form, because of the risk that some members of the public might treat phoning us as a free source of info about things we’re simply not experts in, or just someone to talk to – and then, the public’s donations wouldn’t be enough to make the kind of advice that we need to concentrate upon, viable and sustainable, in the longer term. It’s like not calling 999 when you really need a plumber!

Secondly, not all our services are FREE, even when we do get a person to fill in the form: most people end up in our low cost chargeable category, although we will always find out enough from them to make that decision, for free, via our triage service. We would not want to increase the costs that would eventually have to be invoiced to all our clients, on the basis of a first phonecall, lasting for a very long time, for want of just thinking it through, in advance. So please do help us to help you and as many other people as possible, by thinking about it all first, and considering what you’d do if told it was going to be chargeable advice.

We have volunteers to support people who really can’t cope with composing their concerns, facts and thoughts, but if you do have the ability to write stuff down coherently, here’s some guidance as to how to structure it, below.

If that’s really no good, you can book a phone call, using the Books icon on the website. We don’t function on Fridays, please note, or after 4pm but we love it if you leave a voicemail.

Lastly, publicly funded Health and Social care services do not have absolute duties to do anything, so the fact that you may be struggling to get (or keep) what you think is necessary, or whatever it is you think that they should be doing, is not necessarily a legal problem. It’s only if they’ve behaved irrationally, illegally, unfairly or ignored someone altogether, for an unjustifiable reason, that you might have a legal problem that we can help on. 

If you have less than £8K in savings, and don’t own your own home, you may well qualify for Legal Help, and we can get you to a law firm that won’t tell you that they’ve got ‘no capacity’, you will be pleased to hear. If you have too much in savings or income to qualify, we have links with law firms that will offer to act for you for a low cost fee, after we have done a few hours of free or chargeable work for you, to get the case into shape. Sometimes it takes a law firm to get the attention of a council, sadly.

Useful questions to focus on:

  • For whom are you requesting legal advice? Is it yourself, or a friend or relative aged over 16+? If it’s someone else, please put YOUR contact details down, on the form, first, but then fill out the details about THE OTHER PERSON’S situation for the questions that come after your bit.
  • What is the illness, disability, condition or mental health problem that’s led the person with the problem to seek public sector help, please?
  • What is the day to day mental capacity of that person like, please
  • Where is that person currently living?
  • Who exactly has said what – and to whom about the issue, and when, and in what form, ie verbally or in writing, please?
  • Do you think a decision has been MADE, or maybe only been hinted at? 
  • Do you have EVIDENCE of what you believe to have happened or to have been said? Only a little please, not a file-full! We don’t want to drown in your zip folders or pdfs, as this work can be enough to crush us too, sometimes!
  • Has the person with the problem or anyone helping them, done anything about that, in any formal sense, so far? If there has been a written or telephone complaint, already, how long has the wait been, for any outstanding response?

If you are contacting us about someone else’s issue, fill out the first 5 boxes about YOU and then do the rest of the form about the person you’re contacting us about.

Before you click submit, please double-check that you have filled in all required fields.